When I originally started this blog, I knew I wanted to feature reviews of beauty subscription boxes, because they’ve become my newest obsession – one that I am hoping will eventually pay off. A good number of these services send luxury products that I would never find in my small town. And even if I did have access to such high-end stuff, I wouldn’t be able to justify spending the kind of money required to take these products home. To me, that’s the real beauty of these boxes – I have the ability to enjoy a little bit of the fancy products that I’d otherwise have no idea were even in existence.
I have a hard time parting with my money, because I have so little of it to work with each month. I am more than just broke, I’m living well below the poverty line. If you’ve been where I am, you know very well that ten dollars can often mean the difference between eating and going hungry when it’s the end of the month. Because ten bucks could very easily be a make-or-break amount of money for me, I keep a very close eye on my funds. While I’m currently subscribed to four different beauty box services, continued membership is entirely contingent upon the value of what they send, and whether or not I’m able to sell the most valuable goods I get within a relatively short period of time.
I’m taking a huge chance right now, but I’m willing to do so in the name of…art? Of course I do this in the name of art, because I’m a performer and an entertainer, and visual aesthetics are an important part of the music and art I create. The way I express myself is an extension of my art. Art is beauty, so art is a great
excuse reason for me to be doing this little beauty box project.
Most importantly, I’m doing this in the name of SCIENCE! Yes, I said science! This is, after all, an experiment, one in which I compare and contrast different aspects of these services, breaking them down to their fundamental elements and submitting a report based on whatever evidence I find during the course of my research. See? Very scientific! There’s a method to my madness, I assure you! Stay with me, because it will all, eventually make sense.
This is also, quite clearly, a selfish pursuit, but I’ve already profited from being an Ipsy subscriber by selling a select few of the high-quality goodies contained in their glam bags. For that reason, I decided research any and all similar services I could find, and after a lot of consideration, subscribed to the ones that were most reasonably priced. If they had a deal or a coupon code, that sweetened the deal. I also based my decision on the reviews of others.
Now that I’ve gotten all of THAT out of the way, I’m ready to tell you what you can expect to find in each review. I’ll be breaking it down into sections, each one providing different information that might be useful in making a decision as to whether or not the service is a match for you.
- The name of the company and where to find them online
- What they offer and how much it’s going to cost you
- The terms and fine print
- Basic background information on the company, if available and relevant to the review
- Customer service, returns, shipping, and other policies
- How long of a wait you can expect between the time your subscription is initiated to the time the first box arrives
- Whether or not tracking information is sent, and what shipping service is used by the company.
- If the company charges you upon shipment, or immediately after you place your order.
- Finally, I’ll talk about the box itself and most importantly, the contents of said box.
- I’ll talk a little about each item, which I will rate and review. I’ll also share how much each of these items goes for and what the total value of the box/bag is estimated at!
- I’ll tell you about their referral program (if they have one in the first place) and how it works
- I’ll discuss the benefits of membership, including giveaways, bonuses and discounts
- Here, I’ll let you in on what others are saying, including the good, bad, and indifferent
- If there are any drawbacks, I’ll tell you about them
- I’ll also briefly answer the question “how do they stack up against the competition?”
- Here, you’ll get my honest opinion, and I’ll let you know if I intend on continuing or cancelling the service, and the reasons behind that.
- You’ll find out whether or not I think YOU might like the service, and the reasons why it may or may not be a good fit
- And finally, I’ll let you know if it is worth it or not.
And that, my friends, is how I plan on organizing my reviews. Here’s hoping I continue to be disciplined enough to practice writing each and every day, because the more I do it, the better I get!